Discussion: Weight Bearing Foot xray questionReported This is a featured thread

Showing 4 posts
AmyOKRTR
AmyOKRTR
Weight Bearing Foot xray question
Apr 30 2009, 5:18 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 30 2009, 5:18 AM EDT
Hi,
I have a friend who is a podiatrist and is looking for information about positioning for Weight bearing Foot xrays. He wants to use this info to train a new employee. All of my positioning books and things are all for non weight bearing and I've never really done a lot of WB views so if anyone can point me in a good direction for him, I would appreciate it!
Thanks!
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: None

SaxyLady
1. RE: Weight Bearing Foot xray question
May 5 2009, 12:15 AM EDT | Post edited: May 5 2009, 12:15 AM EDT
Depends what conditions you are trying to demonstrate? Our orthopeadic surgeons usually require a DP weightbearing view of both feet and sometimes a lateral. We have a wooden block for the patient to stand on for the lateral view, them place the cassette against the medial malleolus and direct a horizontal beam about 5cm above base of the 5th MT. This gives a good idea of ligament laxity and over pronation or supination.
Have you had a look in K.C.Clarkes' Postioning in Radiography ? It's the bible for positioning! Many og the orthopaedic books are out of print now, but might be worth looking on Amazon or Ebay? I would suggest looking at it from an Orthopaedic radiology angle.
Hope this helps?
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
AmyOKRTR
AmyOKRTR
2. RE: Weight Bearing Foot xray question
May 7 2009, 7:01 AM EDT | Post edited: May 7 2009, 7:01 AM EDT
See, that's the problem. I know how we as xray techs do the weightbearing films but in podiatry offices they have machines specific to foot xray and has the slot that the film is dropped in to to achieve the WB films. I was just hoping to find some pics somewhere that show this type of machine and how to do the positioning specifically to it. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
daddyfurry
daddyfurry
3. RE: Weight Bearing Foot xray question
Jun 11 2009, 2:36 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 11 2009, 2:36 PM EDT
I am very slowly working on a guide to podiatric xrays. can you wait anoother year or so? 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?