Discussion: Safety for MRIReported This is a featured thread

Showing 6 posts

simplicity.
Safety for MRI
Mar 21 2008, 7:58 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 21 2008, 7:58 PM EDT
just wondering if someone comes in for an MRI but they are a welder, thus you would have to x-ray their eyes what images would be protocol to do? and would you just be looking for metal within the orbits then? Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: None
M.J.Fuller
M.J.Fuller
1. RE: Safety for MRI
Mar 21 2008, 9:00 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 21 2008, 9:00 PM EDT
"just wondering if someone comes in for an MRI but they are a welder,
thus you would have to x-ray their eyes what images would be protocol
to do? and would you just be looking for metal within the orbits then?"
I do not work in MRI but I am a welder (stick, mig, oxy) and I often do orbit views for metal foreign body. Anyone who works in engineering or metal fabrication fields is at increased risk of foreign body in the orbit. I have had metal in my eye three times and on each occasion it was from using an angle grinder. I was wearing goggles at the time. Having metal removed from your eye is no fun. My tip is, if you get mtetal in your eye get it out before it rusts.

A metal foreign body in the eye is probably going to be more harmful in the magnets field that a metal foreign body elsewhere.

I have always done PA25, eyes up and eyes down, for FB orbits. There are some images on this wiki of orbit views here http://wikiradiography.com/page/Radiography+in+the+Round. Many of my colleagues do an OM view which I think is wrong becuase you are not imaging the orbit en face. If you keep lifting the patient's chin from the OM position the orbit will eventually close completely.

There is some debate on this subject and I would be interested if anyone has a different take on this.

Cheers,

Michael Fuller
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
AndyC
AndyC
2. RE: Safety for MRI
Mar 21 2008, 9:49 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 21 2008, 9:49 PM EDT
"just wondering if someone comes in for an MRI but they are a welder, thus you would have to x-ray their eyes what images would be protocol to do? and would you just be looking for metal within the orbits then?"
some images here
http://www.wikiradiography.com/page/Orbits+%28Foreign+Body%29+Radiographic+Anatomy

If you saw a fragment of metal you could do a lateral facial bones view as well to help with localisation of the foreign body

1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

simplicity.
3. RE: Safety for MRI
Mar 25 2008, 5:38 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 25 2008, 5:38 AM EDT
if there are foreign bodies within the orbits though would there definitely have to be something done about it? or if it possible to do the MRI scan with a small fragment there?
also how would you remove the fragment? surgery? does that mean then that the MRI would have to be rescheduled to another time?
Do you find this valuable?    

Posted Anonymously
4. RE: Safety for MRI
Mar 27 2008, 5:08 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 27 2008, 5:08 AM EDT
"just wondering if someone comes in for an MRI but they are a welder, thus you would have to x-ray their eyes what images would be protocol to do? and would you just be looking for metal within the orbits then?"
For a comprehensive answer to your question check out this page http://wikiradiography.com/page/MRI+Screening+for+Orbital+Foreign+Body

Cheers
Dougald Trennery
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

cmp26
5. RE: Safety for MRI
Aug 3 2009, 11:19 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 3 2009, 11:19 AM EDT
would it make any difference if it was a tiny aluminium fragment? (drill waste winding)
since aluminium is not magnetic under normal conditions.
Do you find this valuable?