Sign in or
|Version||User||Scope of changes|
|Mar 8 2011, 10:35 PM EST (current)||AndyC||177 words added|
|Mar 8 2011, 10:32 PM EST||AndyC|
Key: Additions Deletions
Bones of the Cranium
A) Frontal bone
- Underlies the forehead and the superior margin and roof of the orbit and has a smooth median prominence called the glabella.
- Forms part of the superior and lateral surface of the skull.
- Consists of the squamous part , which is external to the lateral surface of the temporal lobe of the brain; the petrous part , which encloses the internal and middle ears; the mastoid part , which contains mastoid air cells; and the tympanic part , which houses the external auditory meatus and the tympanic cavity.
- Consists of squamous, basilar, and two lateral condylar parts.
- Encloses the foramen magnum and forms the cerebral and cerebellar fossae.
- Consists of the body (which houses the sphenoid sinus), the greater and lesser wings, and the pterygoid process.
- Is located between the orbits and consists of the cribriform plate, perpendicular plate , and two lateral masses enclosing ethmoid air cells.
◄.....Go back to the Gross Anatomy homepage